Brookie

Brookie

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Winter Weekends on the Quinapoxet

If you've kept up with the Blog lately, you'll know I've made it a habit to get out to the Quinnie each of the past 3 weekends, two of which I live blogged the fishing (or attempted to). Things started out well on the 13th as I coaxed a Winter Brown to the net on a swinging black midge pupa on the tenth cast or so, but then that was it. I started just above the pump station on River Rd (where I caught the brown) and worked my way up to the "stone wall." A few bumps here and there but nothing landed. I hit the same spots on the 20th and ran into a reader of the blog, Dan, on the way upstream. Neither of us had any luck. It was cold and snowy, but I did see midges flying around at about 2pm that day (that sighting was confirmed once again this weekend).

So this weekend I did what all fly fisherman do and went back for third times the charm; but switched up my location. On Saturday I started at the stretch just above the cable pool - the nice long pool that runs along the bank of  the rail-trail side of the river, nicely shaded by evergreens. This pools starts with some riffles at what i call the "mid-rock" (there's a large boulder in the middle of the stream that literally separates a deep riffly, run from less than 2 feet of basically standing water, a perfect spot for Czech nymphing) and ends once the river starts to narrow. I started with a chartreuse headed, black wooly bugger with a caddis pupa trailer. I almost always trail my buggers with something, because even if they aren't hitting on the buggers, they can still act as an attractor. I dont know how many times I've seen a fish follow my bugger for 3 feet or so, turn away, then hit my trailer on its way back - it's a ferocious strike! Anyway, I managed to hook into what looked like a good size brown along the bank but he fell off after a short fight. I worked downstream into the cable pool and after a few more hits, left empty handed. But I was happy to have found some fish that were interested in my fly, so I went back again on Sunday, and it was a great day!

The first fish was a beautifully colored brown. A nice bronzish colored belly, with mulit-shaded brown spots at the head and body, and bright red spots near the tail. My first thought when I landed this fish was that it was stream born. There is no way to tell other than a DNA test, so I'll never know, but it just looked like it was born here. The farm raised browns always have either a deep yellow belly, or are nearly silver in color, never have I seen a brown on the quinnie like the one I caught. I landed 6 fish in total, all browns, and at least half of them resembled this "native looking" fish, ranging from 8" to 12". I am leading to believe that browns have joined the brookies in successful spawning on the Q.


This first fish, and the next 3, were all landed in a pool/run downstream of the cable pool. It's located a little less than halfway between the cable pool and the rail trail bridge - fished from the south (or inner) bank. It's a pretty deep pool, looks great for big holdover rainbows, and runs for a good 100 feet or so. All the fish I landed were all caught on the chartreuse headed, black body wooly bugger (if anyone has a shorter, hipper name for this fly, please share!). This fly is a killer on this stream in the winter. It also does very well on the Millers. I will fish this fly three ways. #1. Cast straight across the river to the opposite bank and strip away from the bank back towards you. Once you get to the 45 degree mark or so downstream, let it swing, then strip in. If you get a hit on this way, it will almost always be on the second or third strip away from the bank, and it will be hard. #2. Cast 45 degrees downstream, toward the bank, and alternate between letting it swing, and stripping it once or twice. Let it get all the way below you downstream and let it sit there for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes they will wait until the swing stops to hit it. 3. Cast upstream 45 degrees or so, toward the opposite bank. Let it sink at least halfway, then strip hard and fast back toward you or downstream. If you are lucky, a big brown will see it and gobble it up. This approach needs a bit of depth to work, at least 3 feet or so, but attracts the big ones.

After a successful hour at the pool below the big turn, I headed back upstream for one last go at where Trout book enters the river. I fished the riffles that lead into the mouth of trout Brook, and caught two quick browns on the 1st approach outlined above. They weren't that big, but fought hard.

It was a great weekend, and I'm looking forward to more this winter. If I had to guess at what accounted for the difference in luck over the past few weekends, I'd say it was the change in water temperature. Here's what I've noticed about water temperature - the actual temperature is less important than the relative change in temperature. Here's what I mean: trout are most active when water temperature is in the 50's (F), less active in the 40's and below, and nearly deathly conditions when water rises into the 70's (which is why so many trout don't make it through the summer in the quinnie, but that's another blog). For the past few weeks, water temp has hovered in the mid thirties, and on Sunday (when I had my best day), water temp spiked nearly into the 40's. Now, 40 degree temperature water isn't technically an "active feeding" range, but the substantial relative change in temperature  causes fish to increase their feeding habits. The same can happen at higher temps - if its been 65 degrees for weeks, its probably not great fishing, but if its been 70 for weeks, and its dropped to 65, it might be better than average. Take this into consideration the next time you plan to head out. Don't be afraid to fish in the 30 degree water, especially if it's been colder in the recent past.

Thanks to all for reading, and looking forward for another great year on the Quinnie.

-NC

22 comments:

  1. Nick,

    Great post! Thanks for giving us the updates, and I like your "relative temperature theory"! You'e absolutely right about not being afraid to fish the 30 degree weather - I've been doing very well at the Nissitissit recently, a river that doesn't always fish well into the winter.

    I think it's gonna be a good year on our rivers! Hopefully I'll run into you on the water sometime!

    ~Troy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the report, good to see someone is getting out on the water.

    This last post reminds me of a day out this past summer at the wall pool - caught 3 big rainbows, but more noteworthy were the 3 browns I caught - all in the 8-10" range with perfect fins. Earlier in the spring I got a beautiful little brown up below the highway bridge. None of these browns looked like stockers to me, nor does the one in your blog pic. Would love to see the Quinnie evolve into a wild brown stream! There has been a recent explosion of the wild brookie population out on the Swift, so maybe something (good) is going on here ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I figured when I saw the photo that it was you that I ran into. Good to talk to you for a minute. I was out there today once again, and it was tough fishing. The banks are icing over, and I was constantly de-icing my guides. I think it may be time to hit the Swift until March rolls around and the Quinnie comes alive again.

    I believe that you are correct that there is a wild population of browns doing well in the Quinnie. I have caught a few myself that are deep bronze and don't have the same spot patterns as the stockers. I think if there were a C&R portion of the Quinnie that there would be an outstanding wild brown and native brookie fishery to enjoy. There are definitely wild fish out there, but the state stocker website doesn't do them any favors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Quinnie and some secret Asnebumskit spots as well. This fall I got two beautiful Browns in the 8-10 inch range in the bottom part of the Asnebumskit which sound very similar to these fish! We're they in there to spawn??? Who knows??? Beautiful little surprises. I've also gotten them in the Quinnie runs near the rte 31 bridge. What a fun thing to think about, Gems for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Have been hitting the Upper Swift a few times in Jan. and, unfortunately, have timed it vis-a-vis work so that I'm usually there during a snow storm. Went out yesterday, too. Didn't see any fish in the Bubbler or between Route 9 and the Y Pool. Quite a few large trout in the Y, as usual. Streamers and small midges have worked well. Banks are icy, though, and so, tread carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Have been hitting the Upper Swift a few times in Jan. and, unfortunately, have timed it vis-a-vis work so that I'm usually there during a snow storm. Went out yesterday, too. Didn't see any fish in the Bubbler or between Route 9 and the Y Pool. Quite a few large trout in the Y, as usual. Streamers and small midges have worked well. Banks are icy, though, and so, tread carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting wicked sick of winter. Where are ppl fishing these days Quincy is full of shelf ice so is the asnebumskit. Last time I was at the swift streamers in the y. Biggest streamer I had with a size 12 flash bugger trailing hit the smaller one every time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all of your comments, especially the one about a C&R on the Q. If this river had one we would see spawning trout. not everywhere, but in a lot of places. Word is, the waterfall at the reservoir is to come down at some point, which would further enhance the trout population in the quinnie.

    I haven't been doing much fishing lately. I'm trying to wait out this snow, as mentioned the Quinnie has become an ice pond. Once we get that full week of 40 degree weather, it will be time to dust off the rods.

    -NC

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are ppl tying right now? Im fresh outta ideas I've tied so many muddlers and so many caddis dries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coincidentally, just finished tying this morning:

    - Streamers: olive marabou tail, peacock herl for the body, Grizzly hackle, hot pink thread collar. Am experimenting with color contrasts, as I've read that tends to trigger strikes and have good luck with doing that on nymphs least summer/fall

    - Super small hare's ears. I struggle making these, as I'm new to dubbing loops and sometimes make the bodies too thick. So, trying to get better.

    - Frenchies with heavy tungsten beads: expecting a LOT of snow melt this spring, and so, using 4.5mm beads with hopes of getting them down deep. I add pink or orange ice dub and a hot pink thread collar, too.

    How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Franchise are a killer idea so is a hares ear with a dubbing loop. I think it might b about time to break out the snow shoes cause next week looks like it'll b warm all week. Im thinking swift on Saturday or sunday may need the snow shoes to get to the y pool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anyone been on the quinnie recently? Been at the bench tying all winter, ready to get them wet. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swift. Prob the only game around

    ReplyDelete
  14. Was at Swift twice past few weeks. No fish sighted, not even at Y-Pool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopefully warm weather this week with break all the shelf ice on the q

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who's fishing today

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was out there yesterday (Wednesday) - snow in the woods was up past my knees. Struggled to get to a tiny 6'x8' patch of open water, took a couple dozen casts, and trudged back out again. Unless you like fishing off the bridge, it will be a little while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yea I fished a tributary of the q the other day walking the snow was awful. I fished mill street today only open water I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Any luck out there? Hoping to get out on Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  20. Should turn on this week I fished Sunday nd didn't even scene a fish but stones were every where.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Man, every time i hear that "rumor" about the quinnie dam coming down I get all excited. What an amazing salmon run and very likely, reservoir living brown trout run that would result in. Seeing that on the stillwater and the w.Branch of the swift... the Quinnie would be great.

    Regardless, there are a few never been stocked streams around (according to mdfw) that have browns. How they got there? Beats me... but it all makes me think some C&R would be great on the quinnie and perhaps a few of her tribs and a few other streams in the area as well...

    ReplyDelete
  22. So went there yesterday serious midge and stoneflies coming off. Id of posted this in the discussion but I cant figure out how to use it.

    ReplyDelete