Brookie

Brookie

Thursday, May 17, 2012

White Clay Creek in Newark, Delaware

This past weekend I visited an old friend in Maryland. On my drive down, I had the opportunity to stop in at White Clay Creek State Park in Newark, DE (PA/DE border) and fish the White Clay Creek.  Non-resident license was $12, parking was $6. This stream is VERY interesting. Flow seemed to be low, but the water was still DEEP. I fished the fly fish only section above the bridge at Chambers Rock rd. There was a pool extremely similar to the Y-Pool at the Swift which held some BIG fish. Water wasn't as clear as the swift, but clearer than most rivers I've ever fished. It looks like a very accessible yet highly covered river (trees, high banks), which means big trout. There were some big white-colored fish, looked like trout, but I dont know what they were. Could they have been Palominos? I dont know.

In 2 hours I landed 5 rainbows, all bigger than 16". The bigger fish (22" and up) were there but weren't biting. I'm thinking similar to the Swift, the fish get wise, quickly. Caught all fish on a size 20 pheasant tail. Looked like some fish were taking emergers, but I couldn't see what, my guess is something very small.


No comments:

Post a Comment