Brookie

Brookie

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fish are here






The stocking trucks made their way to the quinnie last week and word has it they hit all the bridges. I fished twice this past weekend. Friday evening it was a friend and I at the Harris st/River st bridge. Neither of us caught anything but we saw 2 rises as it got dark. I went back today to try my luck at the same spot. There must have been 15 cars at that bridge. Fishermen every 20 feet. That's not fun. I stayed for an hour but decided to try my luck elsewhere. I headed to a spot few people fish. Don't know why it's not that popular, but I was delighted to see the tracks of the stocking truck when I arrived. And best part was I was the only fisherman there. Caught two rainbows on my "quinnie special" and had a few other takes on caddis nymphs. Beautiful weather - stoneflies were hatching and fluttering on the water all day but I didn't see a single rise. One more warm weather week and the dry fly action should get going.
I tried the echo rod Friday night. It's a 7.5' 3 wt. If you're into old school progressive-moderate action rods, this thing is for you! Perfect length to get into/under brush and overhangs. Casts very well 30ft and under. If you need to make 40ft casts, stick with your 9wt. But for quinnie fishing this thing is a dream. Better for dries but you can nymph with it. The lamson I matched with it is a perfect fit. I'm very happy with this rod. Thanks to Jim at The Lower Forty for recommending it.
-NC
Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment