Brookie

Brookie

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cinder Worms and Caddis Pupa

So much to update, so little time... I'll try to be brief.


Stripers: I went to a RI spot with a friend the weekend before last to target some stripers for my first time. Pun intended, I'm hooked. My friend was gracious enough to have me on his boat and showed me some of the popular and easily accessible wade spots. We hit the clousers early, nothing much doing. Around 3pm we made our way to a spot Todd was sure there'd be some cinder worm action. He was a great guide, sharing insights about flies, spots to go and when, what to look for, etc. The only thing missing was me paying him.... I caught my first striper (although not a big guy) on a cinder worm I tied in one of Todd's classes. It was a great time and I'm looking forward to future outings chasing line siders.

Trout: I went to Indian Hollow this past weekend (sat-sun) for the TU council outing. Fishing was slow saturday morning and throughout the afternoon. Come 3pm it was like somebody turned on a switch. Quickly caught a bow and a brookie on trailing caddis pupas. Then a hefty rainbow on a drifting hares ear. Come sunset, both March Browns and Caddis flies were coming off. I took 3 bows and a brown on a march brown dry. When they stopped hitting that I tried a caddis emerger, fished well past dark, and landed 7 more (browns and bows). Easily the best outings I've had this year. The Westfiled is a beautiful river, it's too bad it has such a hard time holding up throughout the summer. Sunday morning was productive as well, 3 more rainbows came to the net to a swinging caddis.

I'm heading to the Q today and Friday afterwork, then its the Millers this weekend for the big browns for the first time.

Tight Lines,

-NC




4 comments:

  1. i also just tried striper fishing. A buddy of mine has been on me to head to the ocean and 2 weeks ago i finally did. Its a good time, we went to Horseneck. The trout at the quinnie are getting pretty picky. I ended up fishibg 7X, Swift river style. Lot of casting for few fish. But had some luck on a sanjuan with a prince dropper (i always fish sanjuans with droppers, i hate split shot) im heading to the millers in athol on sunday i think. good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nathan. I hit the Q last night for a brief period before the rain hit Holden. HUGE dark caddis were coming off and laying eggs. I'm talking size 12 at least. Started right around 6. I landed 1 in the first 5 minutes but the rain shut everything off. I encourage anyone to head there any night this week. Have to stay from 6-8 to get the good hatches.

    -NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get take him on top? I had alot if luck on wets during a big sulphur hatch. If you get the right swing theyll murder it. Its tough horsing them out on 6X tippit is difficult. Just got into wet flys this year and im having a blast, match whats hatching and swing them over the feeding trout. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete